Liz

Liz

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I am still working my way through Alison Weir's The Wars of the Roses. I am up to 1461 or so, and I have developed an intense loathing for Margaret of Anjou. I am deliberately not reading ahead or checking Wikipedia or anything, but I hope she comes to a horrible end. I don't often feel this way about characters in books or historical figures, but that woman has really gotten my goat.

I have also been following the blog of a friend of mine who moved to Duluth, Minnesota, some years ago and joined a Benedictine (women's) monastery. She has been with a group traveling in Rome since late May, and her experiences and commentary are well worth the read. Sister Edith is a sociologist by training and has a good eye for detail.

Next up, I am plowing through the stacks of magazines and newspapers in this house, and this past weekend, I read this piece by Joan Chittister, a Benedictine sister out of Erie, Pennsylvania. She has been a strong, prophetic voice in Roman Catholicism and the world for three decades. In her piece she argues for an end to polarization and a recognition that what we have in common is so much greater than what separates us.

Speaking of in common, this great guy actually married me 14 years ago today. He's letting me pick the restaurant for dinner. Of course, I've picked about five places, and he's at the point of saying, "Just let me know the final decision." (The picture is from our visit to the battleship "North Carolina" last summer. There is a picture from the 1960s of him standing next to the same cannon and barely being able to see over the top of it; so, we HAD to take this picture.)

I have set myself up - I have a quilt that HAS to be done by the end of July. I promise to post pictures of my progress this weekend. The Flower Power quilt top is nearly done. My friend and I got the last of the flowers sewn together, and she is putting a border around it now.

No comments: