Liz

Liz

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Revisiting Past Finished Objects

This has nothing to do with knitting or crocheting, but of all of the projects I’ve done in the last couple of years, my favorite is the Cherry Lemonade quilt (not my name, but I like it). (73" x 95") I have been fascinated by the optical tricks that come from randomly strewing a lot of little squares of similar colors around. This probably comes out of my adventures in hand dyeing fabric and getting mottled effects. I also love the strong contrast of the yellow and green against dark red. I am thinking of making another piece like this, but with adding some scrappy flowers on top (see my previous Scraptastic posts for pictures of where I'm heading on this).



In terms of projects from which I learned a lot, it has to be my Cosmic Pluto top-down raglan sweater. It is a very comfy sweater, but my failure to measure correctly (that has resulted in a lot of swearing and resewing when doing garment work) really bit me on this project. I simply didn't make the sweater long enough, or the collar small enough. Within the past month, I added a collar in order to stiffen the neckline and keep the sweater on, and I am also lengthening the sweater, including throwing in about an inch of short rows (to compensate for a generous bum).

No comments: