Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cone Nebula Quilt - Section 5 - sewn down

Last week, I was looking at the black river by the bright halo on Section 5 of the Cone Nebula quilt, and I didn't like what I saw:
So, last Sunday, I swapped in the blue/purple fabric that I thought might work better:
I think this eases the transition between the blue star and its halo, as well as the river on the other side of the star.

I also debated with myself about which side of the fabric I should use for the halo. Here are a couple of pictures that I took during the decision process:
After looking at this "live" and through the camera, I decided to keep it as I had originally, with the reverse side of the fabric showing. The fabric has a little too much green in it on the front side, and I thought that distracted from the bright blue.

Next, here is a close-up picture of the corner area. The fabric had a cross-hatch pattern woven into it, and I dyed it a bright green before over-dyeing it black. I love how the weave shows through, along with the different layers of color.

Finally, I have been knitting along on the Every Way Wrap, but not very fast. Here is its current state:

There is a 16-row repeat, and I have done 4 of those repeats (of at least 16). This week, I decided that I would set a goal of one repeat per week until this is done, and I won't be allowed to work on dish cloths until I've done my 16 rows for the week. I also want to make another pair of socks.....


Delusional Knitter said...

I like the blue/purple right next to the star. You are right, it does ease the transition and I think it looks better.

Nice wrap, the yarn is lovely!

Liz in Ypsilanti said...

Thank you for the nice comment.